Friday 11 September 2015

I Let You Go

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
Published by Sphere
7th May 2015
Paperback Edition

 
A tragic accident. It all happened so quickly. She couldn't have prevented it. Could she?

In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh.


Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life forever.

Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating . . .

 
Yet another book waiting around to be picked up by myself and actually read.  I had heard so many good things about it that I decided the summer holidays was the perfect opportunity to get stuck in and find out what all the fuss was about - and let me say now, it was worth it!

On a cold winter's day, a small child is knocked down by a car when his mother lets go of his hand for a split second.  It was a simple error that couldn't have been prevented, yet it is one that turns Jenna Gray's world upside down.

She decides to escape the past by moving away to a rural Welsh village, that whilst popular with holiday makers in the summer, is deserted for the rest of the year, making it the perfect retreat for someone trying to escape the past.

Jenna eventually settles in to her new life, making new friends, getting a dog and even sensing the spark of romance with one of the locals, however, there is always the sense that there is something she isn't revealing, something she is holding back from those around her.

And here endeth part one with a final sentence that left me yelling at the book because everything I believed to be true was suddenly turned upside down, to the extent that I started flipping back through the pages for anything I might have missed.

I Let You Go is a gripping book and I really enjoyed it.  I don't want to give anything away here so I'm not going to reveal any more of what happens for fear of a spoiler alert but it comes complete with one of those cliffhanger endings that are usually only found in films - and we all know how picky I am about a decent ending; Clare Mackintosh nailed this one in my opinion.

 
Happy Reading

 
Miss Chapter x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!