Wednesday 3 December 2014

In Conversation with Daisy Goodwin

Today I am in conversation with the wonderful Daisy Goodwin, author of The Last Duchess and The Fortune Hunter.

 
Both My Last Duchess and The Fortune Hunter are historical novels.  What is your favourite period of history and why?
I am fascinated by the Victorian era.  It is a time that is close enough for us to imagine but life was so different then, especially for women.  I also love the clothes.  I would be perfectly happy in a corset and a crinoline.


Not everyone may know, but you are also an award-winning television producer.  What prompted the decision to write?
Television is all about collaboration and I spend a lot of my time as a producer keeping people happy, but writing is something I can do alone.  If you spend all day surrounded by people trying to make things work, there is something very alluring about the empty page.

How did your publishing deal come about?
I had an idea for my first book, wrote the first three chapters and my agent sold it to a publisher,  then it got picked up by a tv book club and that made a huge difference to sales.


Any advice to anyone dreaming of becoming an author?
You can’t be an author if you don’t do any writing.  The only way to become an author is to keep writing.

Where do you get your writing inspiration from?
It’s a mysterious thing.  I read a great deal and I go to a lot of art galleries.

What are you working on next?
My new book is set at the court of Queen Victoria.
 

 If, heaven forbid, there was a fire, what possession would you grab first to save? 
After my children and my dogs, probably my diary.  I just hope I have backed up my laptop.

What five people, living or dead, would you choose to invite to a dinner party?
Jane Austen, Queen Victoria, Cary Grant, Shakespeare, Bob Dylan.

Thank you Daisy for taking part.  My review of The Fortune Hunter can be found here.

Happy Reading

Miss Chapter x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!