Saturday 28 December 2013

My Year in Books


I thought I would end the year, and welcome in 2014 with a books I've read in 2013 post.  Basically, it's a giant list of what I've read this year!  Are you ready?!


  1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  2. Cuckoo by Julia Crouch
  3. How to Fall by Jane Casey
  4. The Secret Rooms by Catherine Bailey
  5. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
  6. Stalkers by Paul Finch
  7. The Carrier by Sophie Hanah
  8. The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
  9. Aprons and Silver Spoons by Mollie Moran
  10. Someday Find Me by Nicci Cloke
  11. True Grit by Charles Portis
  12. Human Remains by Elizabeth Hayes
  13. Husband Missing by Polly Williams
  14. Tigers in Red Weather by Lisa Klaussman
  15. The Betrayal of Trust by Susan Hill
  16. The Day I Met Suzie by Chris Higgins
  17. Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell
  18. The Light Between Oceans by M.L.Steadman
  19. Big Brother by Lionel Schriver
  20. The Silent Wife by A.S.A Harrison
  21. The Unquiet Grave by Stephen Dunne
  22. Girl Least Likely To by Liz Jones
  23. I Laughed, I Cried by Viv Groskop
  24. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  25. The Painted Bridge by Wendy Wallace
  26. The Sleeper by Emily Barr
  27. Take your Last Breath by Lauren Child
  28. Murder on the Home Front by Molly Lefebure
  29. The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell
  30. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
  31. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell
  32. Dot by Araminta Hall
  33. The Sacred River by Wendy Wallace
  34. Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus
  35. It's Raining Men by Milly Johnson
  36. A Heart Bent out of Shape by Emylia Hall
  37. The Hundred and One Dalmations by Dodie Smith
  38. The Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sacher
  39. The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
  40. Pharaoh by David Gibbins
  41. The Orphan Choir by Sophie Hannah
  42. A Sixpenny Song by Jennifer Johnson
  43. A Pleasure and a Calling by Phil Hogan
  44. The Dead in their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley
  45. Voices by Arnuld Indridasson
  46. The Great British Murder by Lucy Worsley
  47. Forrest of Lost Souls by Anne Plichota and Cendrine Wolf
  48. Just What Kind of Mother are you? by Paula Daly
  49. Like This, For Ever by Sharon Bolton
  50. Not Without You by Harriet Evans
  51. The Stranger You Know by Jane Casey
  52. Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe

 It's a longer list than I thought it was going to be.  I do have weeks when I don't manage to finish a book at all, then suddenly can read 3 in a week - how is that possible?

 Of all the books here, only one made me cry (I'm so tough) and that was the emotive The Light Between Oceans which I loved. 

 Beautiful covers awards go to Tigers in Red Weather, Instructions for a Heatwave and The Other Typist.

 And for read of 2013, I have to award the prize to The Ocean at the End of the Lane which I adored - review up next year for anyone who hasn't read it yet.  It's also just won the National Book Award Book of the Year so clearly a good choice!

 
I've lots to read and review for 2014, highlights are The Goldfinch and The Luminaries as two of the many doorstop novels that have appeared this year.  I've also got the fantastic David Suchet's Being Poirot on my to-read pile plus the newest book from Susan Monk Kidd The Invention of Wings.

 
What's been your favourite book of 2013 and what are you looking forward to reading next year?

 
Happy Reading

 

 Miss Chapter x

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I have done horribly with reading this year, hardly a book at all. I have a great big pile to read, so I better get cracking in 2014, you put me to shame with your average of 1 a week!! Happy Reading for 2014. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put me to shame. I have just counted and I have only read 34 books this year.
    Resolution; Read More books ;0)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!