Monday 21 August 2017

The Graces

The Graces by Laure Eve
Published by Faber & Faber
September 2016




Everyone said the Graces were witches.

They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair. They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different. All I had to do was show them that person was me.

Like everyone else in her town, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?

As a huge witchcraft nerd I am not entirely sure how The Graces slipped off my radar when it was first published but it did.  A friend put it up on her Instagram page and I immediately brought a copy for myself and devoured it instantly!  Basically if you have seen the film The Craft then this is kind-of the book version of that film.

So River is the new kid at school (and I should point out here that this book is set in England, not in the USA like so many of its contemporaries - think Twilight for the many comparisons to the Cullen family).  She immediately becomes obsessed with the Grace siblings, because why wouldn't she? Everyone at the school wants to be like the Graces! Twins Fenrin and Thalia plus their younger sister Summer are both revered and despised by those in the town in which they live.  Their parents are successful and beautiful and some say that the family are witches.  No one from school ever goes to their house or to their parties - only a whole range of outsiders who emerge from out of the blue, stay for a few days and then disappear again.  River becomes the first person to get invited to their house by Summer but what really goes on there?

The Graces is part one of a trilogy of books, of which the second was due out this September but I have it on good authority by the author that this will now be next year instead.  I'm not sure how she is going to work this out and where the story will take us but I'm certainly queuing up for a copy to see what is going to happen next to the Grace family. 

Happy Reading

Miss Chapters x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!