Wednesday 20 July 2016

The Night Circus


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Published by Vintage

24th May 2012

Paperback Edition



The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. The black sign, painted in white letters that hangs upon the gates, reads:
Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn

As the sun disappears beyond the horizon, all over the tents small lights begin to flicker, as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies. When the tents are all aglow, sparkling against the night sky, the sign appears.
Le Cirque des RĂªves
The Circus of Dreams.

Now the circus is open.
Now you may enter.



I am not kidding you, this book has been sat, unread, on my bookshelf since I brought it when it was first published! Yep, years of a great story being unread for no real reason at all.  I recently decided it was about time that alongside buying and reading new books, that I ought to actually read some of the unread books that adorn my many bookshelves, so I chose myself this.

The Night Circus is a magical tale that is set in the 1800s and tells of a dual; a competition between two unknown contestants with rules that neither are aware of.  It is a tale of magic and emotion and illusion that is unlike anything I have read before.  The book reminded me of the The Lost Carnival that we visited a few weeks ago and it made the story even more real for me.

There are so many characters in this story that it would be unfair to pick out any particular ones to focus on.  Each plays their own role within the web that is woven and I have to be honest, I would love to see this book on the big screen as the imagery created by Erin Morgenstern is so vivid and detailed.

If circuses and magical realism are what floats your boat, then if you haven’t already, go grab a copy of this book and immerse yourself into this wondrous world immediately.  I don’t think you will be disappointed.



Happy Reading



Miss Chapter x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!